Wednesday, June 04, 2008

taphophobia




I dream that I'm crawling. Crawling along wet, brittle earth. My face is blackened, my hands unclean. My clothes cling to me... stick to my body. The dirt and the damp creep on my skin. There is no light. It's as if Light doesn't exist.

Somewhere in the distance a choir is singing. Sharp voices of steel rise in unison and fuse to form an intense music. A quality one lone voice could never achieve.

If I lie still the music reaches me... reaches within me, shifting energy inside me... lifting it farther and farther away from my body... till I can finally look down at myself lying motionless in the mud.

My body looks up at me and for a brief second I am in two places at the same time. I see myself suspended above my head. I give off blue light; faded, translucent, washed out like photographs taken in the 40's. But blue nevertheless. Calming. Of water. It doesn't shimmer. It isn't iridescent. It's smoky.

My crawling is not futile. I have a destination to reach. There is a hole in the ground. A trench, into which I slide. My other self follows me where ever I go. It illuminates the hole, but only faintly. I can smell what I cant see. It's the stench of the squelching mounds of worms under my feet and other dead things; the smell of mild decay.

For the time being, I am fated to remain in this hole. I don't mind terribly since I can sense the openness above me. However, once that begins to close, little by little, slowly but surely, I begin to panic. What if I am stuck here all my life? Will I die. Decompose, just like the rest of the half living organisms down here. Turn to dust. Re-emerge as a blade of grass. Or worse. A weed of some sort.Something forgettable. Obsolete.

There is no way out, except one. My body begins to let go of it's energy. All of it. My other shadowy, blue-light self turns stronger. The smoke grows denser. The microscopic, dust-like balls of light glimmer and swell. Now that part of me is whole. My body is empty. Exhausted. I don't feel what it feels any more. I can drift.

When the sun rises and light breaks the air into fragments the smoke curls... upwards ... above the damp heavy air... into the light. It is breathed in.

11 comments:

Mind Mapping said...

I want to see myself looking at myself.
it will be a long time before i'll look away.
meaning both of me will look away.
long lont time.

I love it when everybody sings along.
Lots and lots of people.
hundreds and hundreds gathered standing in one place singing shouting screaming.
I like being part of something macroscopic.
It has a purpose.
or it makes you feel like things ahve a direction.
everything has a direction.
like a generation.
maybe illusionary in a different reality but purposeful and "big" in a this reality none the less.

I am here to make your blog happy.
hello priyasha's blog.
how've you been.
ive been good too.
you are very nice.

oh thank you :)

Mind Mapping said...

there are spelling errors in the above comment.
i detest spelling errors.
but i detest a deleted comment thing more so i'll let it be.

the [R]etard said...

=D

hello! mercury! I am now happy

sunrise said...

But, but Priyasha you missed out the old hag who chased you around everywhere. The one who used to catch you, jump on you and then lie on top of you like a brick.
But I like this.

This thing reminds me of Charis. From Margaret Atwood's book the Robber Bride.
Wait.
You have this book right?
I want all the books you've borrowed from me back before you leave !

the [R]etard said...

Well. I can imagine why it reminds you of Charis. But it's just because of the colour of the light.
Besides, I don't like Charis or the other two. But then again I don't like zenia either. It's so typical of women not to leave things alone. As they should be. What? Is it empowering to cry?

Anyway. I didn't actually dream this. I just wrote.

Rajasee Ray said...

i hate the part where i'm dead and still there and i can't move or see... just think. urgh. thank god for oblivion.
and the part where you can seep out as energy - can you really? oh good then. it's not that scary anymore.
yes, i still prefer oblivion.

the [R]etard said...

j. if you want to think that way you're bound to being that way heh. you dont need support groups or scented candles or really great clothes to be happy... and these women werent even anywhere near being happy. you just need to take what you want... and have enough backbone to fuck off when you know you should.

bleh bleh bleh

i think that was a shitty book that i couldnt relate to because it pissed me off. i like cat's eye better.

Anonymous said...

Hi ,

I was reading ur blog posts and found some of them to be wow.. u write well.. Why don't you popularize it more.. ur posts on ur blog the [R]etard took my particular attention as some of them are interesting topics of mine too;

BTW I help out some ex-IIMA guys who with another batch mate run www.rambhai.com where you can post links to your most loved blog-posts. Rambhai was the chaiwala at IIMA and it is a site where users can themselves share links to blog posts etc and other can find and vote on them. The best make it to the homepage!

This way you can reach out to rambhai readers some of whom could become your ardent fans.. who knows.. :)

Cheers,

sunrise said...

priyasha.
you sound 190848275865736765938759839258092385 years old.

Rajasee Ray said...

so you and i shall not not be living in the same city after all. :(
oh well. congratulations on xaviers! :)

Anonymous said...

Path doesn filter anything. [url=http://www.mulberryhandbagssale.co.uk]mulberry outlet[/url Comfort for your child or children and ease of use for you is of primary importance, decide what suits you and buy accordingly. [url=http://www.goosecoatsale.ca]canada goose chilliwack[/url] Jfmshtatk
[url=http://www.pandorajewelryvip.co.uk]pandora bracelets[/url] Vuylbqnsn [url=http://www.officialcanadagooseparkae.com]canada goose chilliwack[/url] xhteywwgc